Safe application of the essential oils
Essential oils excel with the unique capabilities that can significantly contribute to your feelings of health and well-being. When you want to use them it is necessary to follow and consider several steps. You will avoid the complications which may be caused by the improper application.
If you are just starting with the essential oils, please do not try everything at once. Start gradually and slowly, step by step, and discover the wonderful world of the essential fragrances.
- If are you just going to use and apply some of the essential oils or blends, please concentrate yourself. Do only one thing at the time. Essential oils are the fantastic gifts from nature but at the same time they are highly concentrated. Therefore in order to serve you well when you use them, it is necessary to have basic knowledges of them. It requires certain skills, attention but also humility and common sense.
- Remember that every one of us is unique and therefore can respond very differently to the same dosage and methods of application. Please proceed slowly and with caution. If you are unsure about something please seek after professional help. (link)
- Store the bottles with oils closed in a cool and dark place. Then the essences keep their quality and strength for many years. Keep out of the reach of children.
- When using essential oils have also ready pure vegetable oil. If the essential oil causes you any discomfort or hits a sensitive site, irritates your skin or mucous membranes, dilute it immediately with this vegetable oil. The water would not dilute the oil but it could in the contrary intensify its effects and problems would become likely worse.
- Do not apply any oils to the eyes and their surroundings. Never put directly into the ears. In case of eye contact, rinse well with vegetable oil and seek for medical advice and help. Even a small amount of oil may injure the eyes and also can damage the contact lenses.
- Essential oils rich in menthol, such as peppermint should not be applied especially to the neck of children younger than 24 months.
- If your skin will be exposed to direct sunlight or UV radiation during the next 24 to 48 hours please avoid of the use of essential oils that are photosensitive (angelica and citrus - orange, lemon, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot). It may create rashes or cause dark pigmentation.
- People with high blood pressure and epilepsy should first consult the use of essential oils with the doctor. Also please use with particular caution oils with high levels of ketones such as basil, rosemary and sage.
- The essential oils called “hot” such as cinnamon, oregano, thyme and orange, must be always diluted for children and adults.
- allergic person please do the test at least 30 minutes before using essential oils. Apply a small amount of oil, for example, on the inner side of the upper arm. Also be aware of the fact that the reaction to the essential oils applied to the surface of some people may show up on two or more days later. At the beginning, therefore, use the high dilution and start only with a small amount.
- Sole of the foot is safe place for the application of oils for adults.
- Pregnant women should first consult the use of the essential oils with the doctor.
- Direct inhalation of the essential oils is not recommended to the asthmatic people.
- Internal use of the essential oils is generally considered as safe in many countries (not EU). If you intend to consume more than a few drops of diluted essential oil, we recommend you to consult it with your doctor. If you are living in the EU do not use the essential oils internally.
- In the case that a child swallows the essential oil, give her / him to drink milk or other dairy product and seek immediately for medical help.
- If you are using the essential oil for bath, use 1-5 drops, before using it stir in the salt, gel, or other emulsion. Otherwise you risk that oil will float as the "eye" on the surface and it can cause serious problems to sensitive skin. Generally use not more than 10 drops per bath.
- Some individuals can exceptionally suffer the allergic reactions and rashes when start with the use of quality essential oils. Those problems can be caused as reactions to presence chemical residues from personal care products and cosmetics.
- In case of daily use of the essential oils, it is necessary to stop use personal hygiene products containing ammonia or chemical based hydrocarbons, because they contain a quaternary compound (e.g. benzalkonium chloride), which may cause death after ingestion.
- If your body faces the hyperacidity - the pH is too low than the reaction to any oil may be weaker or even slightly negative.